Sunday, 14 February 2010

The Medical/Long wait begins

Well, it's been a week since the medical for my Defacto Spouse Australian visa application and I've heard nothing.  This I'm told is a good sign, I would only have heard from the Panel Doctor if something was found to be wrong with me.  The day of the medical went something like this:

Up early, as light a breakfast as possible (I was due to be weighed afterall!).  With me I carried my partially filled forms 160 (Radiological report of chest X-Ray) and 26 (Medical examination), my passport and two more passport photos (hastily taken in Tesco's the night before).  I bought gallons of water at the train station (as I'd read you could dilute any 'protein in your pee' problems with plenty of fluid).  I'd drunk nearly three litres before arriving in Maidenhead!!  The Bridge Clinic is about a 15 minute walk away and by the time I'd signed in my bladder was fit to burst.

Luckily, the Radiographers waiting room had a loo nearby and I made several nervous trips before my name was called.  The nurse that took my chest X-Ray was warm and friendly and tried her best to put my mind at ease.  She was even kind enough to show me the results and talk me through what I was seeing.  Everything in her opinion was normal, but it was the Senior Radiographer that had to review it and sign off.

In less than fifteen minutes from beginning-to-end I was being ushered outside and into a different building, where I was to see the Panel Doctor himself.  But first I had to pee again.  A new nurse took my height, weight and tested my eyesight.  She then asked me to provide a sample; at this point my tap ran dry.  To help things along, I drank even more water and was eventually able to fill a cup.

Then it was in with the Doctor, who I have to say also did a fabulous job of keeping me calm.  My joints and reflexes were tested, ears inspected, chest prodded and lungs listenened to.  When it came to the moment where my blood pressure was to be recorded, I produced the report from my GP - expecting my reading to be off the scale.  Amazingly it was 133/80, well within the limits - the healthly living had paid off.

I was so elated by my BP, that I forgot about the blood test.  This too was a (relatively) painless affair.  About an hour after I arrived, I paid my bill (around 200 quid, including postage to get the results to Australia House in London) and was gone.  Straight into a cafe for some proper lunch.

So now I wait, and wait and probably wait some more until my Case Officer gets back in contact.  With good news I hope..

No comments:

Post a Comment